As many of you already know, it appears that I have cancer. I’ve decided to enter the Realm of the Blog to document my journey and provide updates to family and friends. At the very least, I intend to post the latest status/medical updates. If I really catch on to the blogging vibe, I may post much more.
I am feeling a bit wordy at the moment, but I’ll try to start with the Cliff’s Notes version for those people who don’t want to read an entire dissertation...
About 6 months ago, I started to complain about itching – generalized itching all over my body. No rash, no swelling, no hives. Just itching – head to toe, back, legs, feet, arms, chest, face, etc., etc. I finally broke down and went to a doctor (something I hadn’t done in probably 10 years). He immediately referred me to an allergist, assuming the itching was allergy related. I suspected early on that the source of my itching was more serious than mere grass pollen, but I played along knowing that jumping through hoops is easier than fighting with the doctors. Apparently, a common teaching analogy in medical school involves a horse and zebra. The logic goes like this: If you’re out in the mid-western
Pretty much any doctor will agree that generalized itching plus night sweats (another symptom of mine) plus a large tumor in your chest add up to cancer. More particularly, these symptoms/findings suggest lymphoma. Even more particularly, they suggest Hodgkin’s lymphoma (as opposed to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma). But the only way to know for sure is to do a biopsy. Needle biopsies are an option, but not preferred for possible lymphomas. So, they scheduled me for day surgery yesterday. The surgery (mediastinoscopy) involves a small (1 inch) incision just above my collarbone into which they insert the mediastinoscope. Using the mediastinoscope, the doctor cuts out a small chunk of the tumor which is analyzed by a pathologist to determine what it is.
Today I’m at home recuperating from the surgery. My neck and chest are uncomfortable and I’m tired and groggy, but I’m not really in too much pain. It turns out that the pathologist wasn’t able to diagnose the tumor on the spot as expected, but he did go as far as to say the sample was consistent with a lymphoma. And thus we wait. We should have preliminary results back tomorrow and a final diagnosis early next week. Until then, it’s not official, but it’s pretty safe to assume that I do have cancer.
How do I feel about having cancer? Honestly, I’m not that worried about it. Hodgkin’s is very treatable and I have every reason to believe that we’ll be able to treat it and move on. That’s not to say that the next few months are going to be a cakewalk, but I’m fully confident that I’ll be fine in the long run.
It almost seems trite and too impersonal to offer a blanket “thank you” in a blog post, but I want to say thank you nonetheless. Skye and I have been overwhelmed with the thoughts, prayers, gestures, and kind words so many of you have given to this point. They are inspiring and uplifting and very much appreciated. So, thanks again.
5 comments:
I love you Jared! Thinking and praying for you lots! Thank you for sharing. It's great to hear your thoughts on your process and progress.
Keith & I are sending our prayers too Jared. Thank you for updating us.
Much Love....
Jared,
It's good to hear that you have a positive outlook. Have been praying for you.
Rich
Jared, Skye, and Seville,
We're glad that you've decided to blog about the experience so that we can stay better informed of your progress. We love your positive attitude, and have been praying for you guys daily since we found out. We've also been trying to learn more about this Hodgkin fellow...
Much love,
matt and wendy
Hey Jared,
I was laying in bed tonight, unable to sleep, and suddenly thought of you and your little family. I mean, no offense, but I don't really think of you that often as my life goes along. So it was strange that you popped into my head. And another rarity, that I, with the worst memory for names in the world, remembered your wife's full name...and got up at 12:41 am to check her blog.
{sigh.}
Oh Jared, hard news. Regardless of your good attitude and the like, this is still hard news. And it's not as if there is anything I can do for you besides prayer, which will be plentiful, I assure you.
And to say that your friendship was pivitol in my college experience. That our long talks, mutual adoration of Morrissey and your forcing me to read that biography of Larry Bird (sheesh!) added up to something important when I look back on that time period of my life.
And so in addition to my prayers, and the prayers of my little family, might I also say Thank You.
- Emilie (Bachman) Ahern
Post a Comment