Well, it's official. I'm cured - or as the medical people put it, I'm in "clinical remission." Cancer's gone. It's time to get back to normal life - whatever "normal" is - I'm not sure I really know anymore. But I am happy about everything. I never had any doubts that my treatment would be successful, but it is great to know that it's officially over.
Those of you still following this blog know that I haven't personally posted anything in a really long time. The last chemo treatment and the subsequent recovery period took a lot out of me. But more than that, in the last several weeks it has been difficult trying to make the transition from cancer patient to normal person. My biggest mistake is that I tried to make the transition too soon. I figured that I'd be my normal self within a few short weeks after the last round of chemo. I was wrong. So, I've taken the last couple of weeks to really just lay low and let my body (and my mind) recover from all the chaos it's been through in the last several months.
Perhaps my biggest discovery is that after 4-6 months of inactivity, inactivity has become the status quo in my life. I kind of feel like I have to learn how to be a normal, functioning member of society all over again. It took me roughly 20-some odd years the first time - hopefully it won't take that long the second time. I'm back at work, re-involving myself in church-related activities, and trying to be helpful at home. I still need to figure out how to find time for exercise, leisure and paying the bills. It's kind of a slow process, but bit by bit I'll get there. It's hard, but it's not dramatic-hard like cancer. It's boring-hard.
I almost feel like I need to say goodbye to all of you. I mean, this blog isn't going to die or anything - Skye is a faithful and dedicated blogger. But to be totally honest, I'm not sure that I have it in me to be a true blogger. Providing cancer updates was a compelling reason for me to post - I appreciated the fact that people wanted to know how I felt and how I was doing. But now, I'm not so sure I have any particular messages for the world. I don't know. I obviously want to stay in touch with people - I'm just not convinced that blogging is the right forum for me to do that. We'll see - I'll keep an open mind about it and see where it takes me. Maybe I'll leave the family updates to Skye (since she's good at that and I think she likes to do it) and I'll post random thoughts on occasion. Actually, at some point in the near future, I'll probably post some post-cancer thoughts and reflections. So, stay tuned if you're interested.
Anyhow, I guess I am saying goodbye in the sense that I'm saying goodbye to cancer and goodbye to posting updates about my fight against it. There's no more fight. It's over. I win. Today is a good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
yeah!!! you did it! we are so happy for you. let us know when you guys are up for getting together. we miss you-
love e & b and little g
Is it weird to say Congratulations in a situation like this?!? Either way...Congrats!
It was great to see you guys the other night. Even better to know you are in remission!:)
We've been anxiously waiting to hear the results and could not be happier :-) You've put up and good fight and you HAVE won - that is fantastic news - Andy & Charis Call
Woo-hoo! We're so happy for you, Skye, and Seville.
Yay!
Congrats Jared! That is the best news I have heard in a long time. You have quite the determined soul.
I totally understand if you drop off the end of the blogging world just make sure pictures of all your cool camping experiences get posted. It feeds me!
This is great to read. And I supose celebrating last night was a good reason to ditch your hometeachers ;) Love you guys,
Rich
WOW! WOW! WOWWWW!!! I'm so happy for you guys!
Oh Jared! You deserve some good atrophy after all you've been through. But I guess now it's time to get that energy back so Skye can take a lil' breather.
What joy!
Tears of joy stream down my face:_)
Yea! Such good news! I hope you can get back to normal soon!
hooray. and congratulation is the correct word.
*feeling quiet peace*
*feeling peace with em, too*
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
High fives all around! Jared! Skye! Seville!
YEAH!
Yeah!
Yeah!
Post a Comment