And so even though shortbread is full of various refined foods and fats -- things I've forsworn eating myself and, mere months ago, thought I would avoid feeding my kids, I made shortbread this afternoon. It was inelegant, but super yummy (duh. main ingredient=butter).
We're on a campaign to fatten up Seville, which has made me feed her all kinds of things I previously considered "white trash food" (mac n' cheese with hotdogs, pop tarts, peanut butter ritz bitz, wafer cookies, etc). She's dropped off the growth charts in recent months, and just keeps falling farther and farther below that elusive bottom line. There are various reasons for this, not the least of which is that she gets really constipated if I give her milk so I don't (someday she'll probably be mad at me for sharing such information with the world) (btw, I just started soy milk, which makes me a little sad, being the dairy enthusiast that I am). Any good ideas for fattening baby foods?

6 comments:
Elliot is the exact same way. Who was once a very fat baby has grown into a a very skinny one year old.
I've been making him smoothies for breakfast every morning with things like whole milk yogurt, bananas, and tofu, and (don't tell Jeremy) we've been known to eat an all ice cream lunch from time to time.
Mmm, shortbread. And mmmmm, ice cream lunch.
I think a trick is to find things that are fattening but not loaded with sugar (a big weakness of mine), and that still have some nutritional value. So, I guess that brings us to cheese and nuts. When Anders was Seville's age he would try any kind of cheese (he's a bit pickier now), though I suppose you might not want her to develop a preference for $20/lb cheese! And what isn't good with peanut butter? She's at a great age for starting to dip foods, so if she can handle carrots and apples I would give her a little dish of peanut butter and skinny apple slices and carrot sticks to dip in it.
And can I have your shortbread recipe? It looks like it has a great texture.
You COULD just sit her in a big tub of lard and wait for the magic of osmosis.
There's no such thing as soy milk. It's soy juice. There's no soy milk, because there's no soy boob, is there?
Good ideas! She does love cheese and yogurt and stuff. One of my best weapons is avocadoes (it IS hard to find non-sugary fattening foods).
Iron Chef, I'm totally with you. I have always turned my nose up at the supposedly more healthful milk alternatives. I'm all about real milk, all the way. Not the fat-reduced stuff, either. Whole, real, milk from a cow (or goat, as the case may be - I milked our family goats every morning as a child, which is maybe where I get some of my milk loyalty from). It took much humility and sorrow to switch. I'm going to keep attempting the switch back every couple months. She was a late bloomer with adjusting to regular solid food too.
Oh, that recipe, by the way, is from my mother, and as such is not so much a recipe as it is general guidelines and suggestions. My mother famously never uses recipes, and her food is very hard to replicate, but we kids try to take notes anyway.
Anyway, since she's English, maybe this is like The True Original Real English ShortBread or else it's just her way of making it. Super simple. It's roughly thus:
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4+ c. butter more or less
1/4+ c. suger more or less
mix flour and sugar then gently work butter in using fingers in a pick up and rub type motion (this is the way my Mom does pie crust too, instead of "cutting" it in) until mixture is sandy crumbly. Press into pan. Bake around 325 for 30 min (I baked for more like 20 minutes because it was thin in the pan. I should have doubled for that size pan)
Post a Comment