Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Babies in Bulk

The boys are 4 months old now. 4 and a half, actually, though their "corrected" age is closer to 2 1/2 months, so we've had double the amount of "little baby infant time." Which is both a blessing and a curse, I'm sure you realize.

It's been a while since we've updated here, and there is too much and too little to say at the same time. We feed and change babies, put them various places around our living room to keep them happy to mix it up now and again. But other than feeding, changing, rocking, pumping, washing bottles, washing clothes, there's not much else that happens around here.  We took them to Costco the other day, put the carseats on a flat cart and went around the store that way, adding our purchases to the cart with them. At the checkout line the guy behind us said, "which aisle'd you get those on?" We all joked about how you can buy anything in bulk at Costco, and these come in a 2-pack, etc. It was the highlight of our week. Actually, almost any adult conversation is the highlight of my week, but I think that isn't much different from other young mothers.

I'm doing pretty ok with the whole twin situation. I was telling a friend today that I've adjusted to having twins probably better than I adjusted to having my first baby. I think with twins you expect that your life will be sucked right out from under you and that you'll need nannies, prozac, and therapy to get you through. And so when you miraculously survive on less than that, you feel really good about yourself. When you have one baby (girls, you can back me up on this), you imagine all the blissful baby moments at home: You will hold and rock this baby, nurse it effortlessly to sleep, and while it is slumbering peacefully all afternoon you will do sewing projects and start scrapbooking and paint your bathroom and plant 27 varieties of tomatoes in your garden and you'll work out every day and be just as tiny as you were pre-pregnancy within 3 weeks and you'll start cooking organic meals and your husband will come home every night to a tidy home and a warm dinner and he'll kiss you and scoop up your darling little blessing and cuddle it while you leisurely eat your delicious cooking, after which you'll put the little pumpkin to bed and then you and hubby will spend a quiet evening together watching a movie, cuddling, and going to bed before the sun rises another blissful day of New Motherhood.
So when you find yourself robbed of your body, your time, your sleep, your hair, your food, when you wake up 50 times a night to a baby who wants to suck violently on your scabbed and raw nipples and have to function the next day heaving around that extra 30 pounds and spend the rest of your day elbow deep in poop and laundry and spit up during those spare moments between trying to feed and/or settle a baby who is completely unpredictable and upset whenever you don't immediately read its mind and attend to its every whim and you're starving but can't find a minute to eat a half a grapefruit until 5:00 in the evening (this happened to me. I'm not exaggerating), and then when your also-tired husband comes home from work to find you haggard and weary heating up leftover hotdogs in the microwave for a dinner you can barely bring yourself to swallow, despite the fact that you're ravenous, and then you spend your evening disagreeing on whether to let the baby "cry it out" or not and your husband eventually collapses into bed and falls asleep before you have any "quality time" only to start the night over again... for SOME reason... I don't know why... this is difficult for a new mom. So, yeah, twins has been a piece of cake in that respect. I never imagined I would have a life. I don't. It's all good.

Meanwhile the boys are growing like weeds (something Seville never managed. She still weighs about as much as your average 12-month old). They have officially started to laugh and "talk" to us. They do everything different from each other. You know all those things your baby did that you thought was a result of your parenting style and choices? Wrong! Those had nothing to do with you. Babies just each have their own way of doing things. Think their pacifier preferences are because of how you handled it? no. Think they slept well because of your careful parenting planning? no way. These guys have been treated identically, and they are completely different.  They need different things, they respond to different things, they like different things. It's impossible not to compare twins to each other. I know. You are always told that babies develop at their own pace and in different ways, but holy cow when it's right in front of you you can't help but compare.

Brickley is much more observant, alert and wakeful. He was the first to smile, the first to laugh. He can hold his head up pretty well and generally seems to have better physical control than Oswell. He's really charismatic and will interact with and smile at anyone on command.

Oswell is sleepier and more cuddly and baby-ish. He probably sleeps more because he's growing faster. He's a big juicy baby with jowls dangling to his shoulders and a cute little knob of a chin poking out of his luscious little face. Despite the fact that he sleeps more and doesn't hold his huge noggin up well yet, he's more of a talker and his sounds are more developed than Brickley's so far. It's so cute to see him smile, like his tiny face muscles have to lift his huge cheeks to pull it off.

Seville is starting to adjust and she loves her little babies. She's very proud of her Big Sister role and sometimes gets mad if I help a baby before she does (she's good at popping pacifiers back in mouths, which is good because there is much pacifier popping going on around here.) She also wears ballerina clothes on a daily basis. She loves to help mommy and has started to get a little devious. Today we put a popsicle in the freezer for her to save for after dinner, to which she protested loudly and with much crying. She ran into the kitchen and yelled at daddy to "go away!"  When he asked her why she wanted him to leave she said because he might see her getting the popsicle out of the freezer. We both laughed so hard. Nice try, honey. You're getting there. We eventually set a timer for the popsicle and it all worked out.

More pics of our summer:

Summer 2010

10 comments:

Lauren said...

What a great post! Your sentiments are right on, and the pictures are beautiful. Glad to hear you're surviving. :)

Montana Blakes said...

Thanks for this post Skye--I laughed out loud. I wish I'd read your description of "real" motherhood before my first was born. It would have saved me a lot of angst! Glad to hear you are surviving mentally (and physically).

Tamara said...

For the most part, you have me thinking, "I will continue to use birth control for the rest of my life."

And then I saw that picture of you with your mom.

So we'll see.

Skye said...

oh yeah. I forgot about the secret New Mother's Oath, to never reveal to the childless-potential-future-mothers what it's really like. oops.

of course, in case you think we're lying when we say "it's worth it," note the fact that we all keep doing it again and again. :)

paul said...

Does that oath apply to new fathers too? I was feeling pretty raw after the first couple of days home from the hospital and I talked to a guy friend with a baby hungry wife and I think I scared him pretty badly. Great post Skye; you had me laughing. So accurate.

Jenni said...

wow I so empathize with you on this, only not about the twins thing. We don't have twins. But i get you 100% when you say you daydream about being this perfect mother and have an awesome house but the reality is you are so exhausted. Both of you are. You are amazing though....seriously....

K kid said...

I absolutely loved this post, Skye. You totally encapsulated in a paragraph or two why the transition to being a mother was such a tremendous shock and entailed so many feelings of loss and prozac and so forth :)-- to someone who always wanted to be a mom. I found that the infancy of my 3rd and 4th babies were much more enjoyable than my 1st or 2nd for precisely the same reason you've been adjusting well to twins: by that time I knew better than to have any expectations. I knew what I was getting myself into, succumbed to the chaos and self-loss, accepted it for what it was and enjoyed it for what it was. I still have moments when I get caught up in expectations about getting my pre-baby body back or having a well-run organized home, but then my kids quickly remind me that I'm not the one in control. :)

K kid said...

And I loved that picture of you and Kadra with your mom as well!

Greek Goddess said...

Enjoyed your post. Well written. Came here from Karen P's blog. I'm pretty sure your parents know my parents. The Luschin's from Germany. Could be wrong, but I think I got the right family. Anyway, I think we all identify with you! Take care!

Kadra K. said...

I, also, laughed out loud at the "pre-motherhood dream" and the "motherhood reality" descriptions. Adelyn is asleep so I am going to take a nap now (I know, I know, enjoy the "one-child-ness" while I can!)