Sunday, August 05, 2012

Weekend O' Airplanes and Sickness

We had planned to try to spend the weekend at North Carolina's famous beaches, but I was too sick to go so we stayed "home." We did muster ourselves out the door for an hour or so on Saturday to take the kids to Observation Park - a park at the airport with an airport theme. It's pretty cute. There's an observation deck to watch planes taking off and landing. You're right next to it so you get to hear their jets in all their glory too. They play a feed from the radio tower, so you get to hear what air traffic control is saying while you watch. They also have a play area and big sandbox, and a tiny runway for kids to run around on. I think it's pretty cool, especially for those like me, for whom all things airplane invokes a childhood sense of jubilation and excitement.  Here's a video of Oswell pretending to be a plane on the play-runway. You can see the real runway in the background:


I only regret we didn't manage to get a video of the boys reacting to a plane taking off. It was pretty cute - they got super excited every time. They have both been obsessed with planes  - especially since we went for a ride in Grandpa's plane just before we moved. They think every small plane is Grandpa's plane, and that's what they say when they see one: "Gampa's pane!" :)  I couldn't even get Trajan to leave the observation deck and go to the playstructure at the park. He just wanted to watch planes, even though the wait between take-offs was often 10 minutes or something. He would just patiently stand there saying, "nother pane?"

After we got home, the boys went and found their little toy wind-up planes I got them recently, and proceeded to "fly" around the house - to the dinner table, up the stairs, back and forth in the living room.

I'm pretty sure today  marks the second Father's Day in a row that I've been too sick to do anything for Jared. Which means he's getting hosed, and I feel bad. I've been so sick the last couple of days that I can only get out of bed for short periods of time. My laryngitis has been so bad that I literally had to whisper for about 24 hours - it actually made more sound than trying to talk, which seemed to just shut my throat up completely. When I woke up Saturday morning I couldn't breathe and was so panicked. Jared told me to calm down, take a puff of Oswell's ventilator. It eventually subsided, but I've never experienced my throat being closed like that - it was scary. Now I know how asthmatic kids feel, I guess.

Hopefully we'll manage the beach trip next week. In the meantime, we're just hanging out in a holding pattern (no pun intended) waiting for our house to close so we can move in. Just under 2 weeks now!

1 comment:

Dalynn said...

Just realized your were now out East. Give us a call if you come up north sometime. We could meet in DC.