Last week I was telling a friend that Jared's scans came back clean, that he was in "clinical remission" and we're very relieved and happy. He said, "you have a lot to be thankful for this year!" (referring to Thanksgiving). Of course, I agreed, but added, "as does anyone. And
how much more thankful, those who did NOT have cancer before becoming healthy, right?" "Good point." he said.Which made me think about how we tend to be most thankful for our day-to-day lives after something has upset them. It's always a crisis that makes us appreciate the little things. I'm not
sure that I like the idea of imagining all the bad things that could happen in order to appreciate the blessings you have now, but somehow it seems necessary sometimes.So this is a reminder to me and everyone to give thanks for the things you normally take for granted. Thank God for your health today. Thank God for your family, your home, your job, your car, your friends, your country,
your freedom, your faith, your body, your mind, your education, your opportunity, your hair, your feet, your fully-functional pinky finger. Thank God for all.And thank you all, readers and friends, for everything you've done for us. It's made a world of difference. I explained to my family on Thanksgiving that the help we received didn't play out like lots of different bits of help. It played out like everyone contributing to a collective pool of support that carried us forward through this ordeal. Thus little and big things alike were essential to making it. We really can't
thank everyone enough.
2 comments:
I'm sure you don't remember me, but my name is Emilie Wilson (formerly Emilie Lisle). I was actually in your singles ward when you and Jared started dating, am Andy Call's cousin, and a family friend of Brad Wiltbank. Sometimes the world seems really small. I found your blog while browsing links on Andy and Charis Call's blog. Anyway, I have been looking every now and then to see how your family is doing, and to read your thoughts on life. I really enjoy your blog and am so pleased to hear that Jared's treatment is a success. And Seville is beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I still pull out your Angels We Have Heard on High CD sampler--its one of my favorite renditions. If you're interested, my family blog is: emilieandbrian.blogspot.com
Oh, your words are so true. I had been taking my pinky finger very granted until last week--once again, I hate it when bad health has to remind us to appreciate the good. But I'm so thankful that everyone's on the mend and I'm thankful for such good friends like you and Jared. (And congrats, Seville, on those steps!)
Post a Comment