Thursday, May 21, 2009

New York City - Auntie x11

My sister, who lives in Manhattan, just had a baby. She's sooooo cute and tiny! Dutiful aunt that I am trying to be, I went out to visit her. I didn't bring a camera because Delta charges for every bag (even your first one! jerks!), and so I was trying to cram the trip into a carry-on. (My sister gave me a hard time all weekend about how I looked like a tourist with all my multi-purpose clothes and shoes - there is apparently no worse insult in Manhattan. Like how in Germany the worst thing you can do is call someone a pig-dog. oooooooh.)

Anyway, there are a total of two pictures of me in New York, both taken from my brother-in-law's cell phone, so the quality is great, as you'd imagine. This one is in some fancy hotel where we asked if we could change a diaper...

And this one holding the baby in the Theater District before bidding my sister and her hubby farewell for the evening. (They went to a Broadway show, while I took the baby back home via subway and bus and took care of her until they got back.)

I didn't really do anything New York-ish while I was there. It would have been more or less the same if we'd been in some po-dunk town in Iowa (sorry, Iowans). But Manhattan is definitely its own thing. We were running errands one day and I went to pick something up at the drugstore. I'm crossing the street to the Walgreens when I look up and realize I'm on Times Square. Everyone around me is dressed up, hustling and bustling, taking pictures, full of energy. Meanwhile I'm here just buying diapers. Funny.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh fun!! I had heard you were in town! Looks like you had a great visit! And congrats to Brittany and Bob!

Ben & Diane said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! You changed it from Georgia to Iowa. Why? I was just about to tell you off but, I guess I don't need to now. Kidding! I wasn't gonna tell you off. You know, you should really give GA a chance ;)

Skye said...

I confess! You caught me! I forgot that you guys lived in Georgia until Jared reminded me, at which point I was horrified and decided I needed to change the state to somewhere I didn't know anyone. (Any Iowan readers out there?)