We are pregnant - and with TWINS, no less. (now let's just get these next couple questions out o f the way: no they're not identical (fraternal), and no that doesn't run in my family. If you'll recall, Jared had cancer and chemotherapy a couple years ago, and that left our situation... shall we say... somewhat compromosed. We were so fortunate to have an oncologist who was cognisant of and sensitive to cancer-life-related issues for younger people, and who made time for us to get some of Jared's "boyz" on ice before he started chemo. So... despite our efforts at having one baby at a time, fertility treatments are unpredictable, and here we are).
The babies are both BOYS, and Jared is about as stoked as can be. He's resisting all kinds of urges to buy little basketballs, I'm sure.
So we're excited, and life is changing fast. The pregnancy hasn't been without complications - I was on bedrest for several weeks at the beginning, and have some other complications that make me pretty uncomfortable pretty much most of the time. I have several "indications" that put me at risk for pre-term labor, but things have been looking great lately. I hit the 28-week pregnancy mark a couple of days ago. I was excited to reach that benchmark (a big one for twins).
Of course, as fate would have it, the instant I was excited about reaching week 28, I started having some pre-term labor symptoms. The next night I was sent to the hospital and have been here since (3 days). I'm one of those contraction-ey pregnant women - I get 'em all the time - and this is pretty normal for a twin pregnancy in the 3rd trimester, so it's nothing to be alarmed about usually. But when the contractions wouldn't slow down with rest or water, and especially when they were only 3 minutes apart, it was looking a little scary. At the hospital we determined that I was starting to dilate with all the contractions, so they put me on medication to stop them and IV fluids to keep me hydrated. We also figured out, as the night wore on, that I had the stomach flu.
I hate the stomach flu. HATE. THE. STOMACH. FLU. I'm one of those people that just doesn't deal with nausea very well, and I can't throw up, so I'm just miserable the whole time. BUT, believe it or not this is good news, in a way. It's probable that the stomach flu is what was actually causing the contractions and pre-term labor symptoms, and once I got over that, they were able to take me off the medications and things have been ok since.
So today I get to go home! I have to take it easy and watch closely what happens over the next couple of days, but I don't think I will even need to go on any kind of long-term strict bedrest at this point, which is great news. I will probably need to have pretty limited activity for the next couple of months, so we'll try to find a way to work that out, but that's not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be.
The pictures, by the way, were taken here in my room during my stay. Seville came to visit me yesterday. Apparently she dressed herself, and arrived completely decked out in poofy pink princess attire with matching shoes and tiara with fuzzy pink embellishments. While she was here, Grandma helped me untangle and braid my hair. She wanted matching braids, so I tried to put little ones in her hair. I couldn't get over how cute they were, so we took pics.
Also, the view from OHSU windows is pretty fun. There are lots of cool cloud things that go on up here, and I've been watching them from my bed (I guess you can see Mt. Hood from other places in my room. Just not the bed).
6 comments:
What do you mean, you can't throw up? I've never heard of someone who can't throw up.
Thank you for "boyz on ice". Glad you are feeling better and able to go home to your more comfy bed.
You do look adorable the two of you!!!! I want to come give you the longest hug in the world. I'm so excited to meet your twins!!! Ha ha, I didn't even realize that Jared would be so excited to have two basketball players at once! yay!!!
love and hugs and kisses for your whole family!!! xo
First congratulations on your babies! I thought you might be pregnant from some of the pictures from Seville's birthday, but of course one does not ask. I will say a prayer that those little boys can make it at least a few more weeks therefore limiting the time they would need to stay in the NICU. BTW, Seville is just about the cutest thing on the planet and I am sure your boys will be too. Hang in there and take it easy.
I too like the "boys on ice" comment. However, my mind goes drifted to the Olympics and watching the mens short and long programs in figure skating! Glad all is well for you again.
XO,
Tara
Congratulations from the NewMyers. I've been a lurker on your blog for a while, but just had to finally comment. We are so happy for you! My oldest is one month older than Seville, maybe I can take her for a play date sometime, you can rest and they can be princesses together! Take care.
Post a Comment