Seville finally had her first shot at "solid" food this week. It's so weird to think that, until now, every single cell in her body was provided by my body (except for one. thanks Daddy).
Anyway, Mommy was all excited about trying solid food, but Seville didn't think much of it.

This is the face she makes every time she gets any on her tongue. She is eating "rice" here. I didn't think it tasted like anything, but she shudders involuntarily every time I put it in her mouth, like it's so bitter she can't help it. So sad. I homemade her rice cereal (using whole brown rice, because I want to avoid refined foods). I'd better get used to her not appreciating my efforts. :) (see her shudder yourself, in the videos on the right)
Anyway, Mommy was all excited about trying solid food, but Seville didn't think much of it.

This is the face she makes every time she gets any on her tongue. She is eating "rice" here. I didn't think it tasted like anything, but she shudders involuntarily every time I put it in her mouth, like it's so bitter she can't help it. So sad. I homemade her rice cereal (using whole brown rice, because I want to avoid refined foods). I'd better get used to her not appreciating my efforts. :) (see her shudder yourself, in the videos on the right)

Here she is, literally scared of the next bite, poor thing. I tried organic bananas next, thinking she'd like them better because they're so sweet, but no go. Her shudder was a little different, her tongue coming out like she was going to gag. I guess let's face it. even I don't like straight-up bananas that much. They have a pretty strong flavor. I shoulda thought of that.


6 comments:
So cute :)
Dakota was the same way at first. I love getting creative with homemade babyfood too. just get ready to wash a bunch of it down the drain. Tonight we had mushed organic carrots & soy beans mixed with whole rice. The thing is, now that he wants to start feeding himself meals are getting longer and messier than ever.
BTW: They have some some good organic baby cereals that are fortified with Iron (which they still really need) and also DHA (which is suppose to be good for brain developement). I like to mix veggies with it sometimes.
she's so cute! I want one! I am such a bad mom that I did not make mine suffer through rice cereal for very long. They both liked oatmeal better. But, Mia and Dallin both loved the fruits and veggies. I gave them applesauce first and it was a big hit. pears too.
Diane
i love watching your videos of her! she's so funny! and i love the way she talks to you guys. i think she's a soprano!
Bananas were not a hit with either of my boys until they were quite a bit older. Pears are more likely to be a hit (though you'll have to wait a while if you insist on making your own). We also swear by the Earth's Best Multi-Grain Baby Cereal, which is far tastier than rice. My two-year-old still eats a bowl of it (made with soy milk and mixed with a jar of fruit baby food) every day.
I though the same thing when I started both of my girls on solids--that up until that moment every bit of them had come from me! It's a little bit sad, but also a good thing!
Cute pics! Good luck with the solid foods. It will definitely take a little while until she gets the hang of it. Butternut squash is a good one to try at the beginning. It's really mild but has a sweet flavor that lots of babies like. Plus it purees really smoothly, unlike peas or green beans that tend to be a little clumpy. Just cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and put face down in a pan filled with one inch of water. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Then scoop out the fleshy part and puree with enough water to make it smooth. Yum yum!
-Lauren
Post a Comment