Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Medical Mulligan?

My detective efforts yesterday weren't completely in vain. Turns out my phone calls lit a fire under everyone and they managed to give me a final answer yesterday. Unfortunately, the final answer was that they don't have a final answer. In other words, the sample they took wasn't enough in quality and/or quantity. In other words, I get to have another biopsy.

The surgeon recommended a CT-guided needle biopsy this time, which should make it easier to pinpoint the tumor during the procedure, thus resulting in a better sample. The CT-guided biopsy is done by radiologists, not general surgeons. We scrambled yesterday to see how soon this procedure could be done because I'm having my first meeting with my oncologist tomorrow (Thursday) and want/need to have some results for him so that he can prescribe a course of treatment. As of yesterday evening, we couldn't pull the strings to make it happen.

I did talk to the oncologist this morning, however, and he still wants me to come into tomorrow despite not having an official diagnosis. He's going to handle everything from here and set things into order - I have no doubt. It'll be nice to finally get some information and make some progress. Until tomorrow...

No comments: