Tuesday, January 15, 2008

3 days and counting...

So we're throwing a birthday party for Seville on Friday (her actual birthday is Thursday, but some relatives are coming from out of town so I'm bending my hard and fast rule about birthdays being on birthdays. Bad precedent, I know).


Birthday Invitations copy
(yes, I made the invitation with TyBook graphics. Cute, huh?)

I have really mixed feelings about throwing a one-year-old birthday party. I used to think the whole idea was a bit silly, and I realize she'll have no idea what's going on, but now that I have my own kid I can't resist. Any excuse to watch her be cute is a good excuse to me. The tough part, really, is deciding who to invite without embarrassing myself. I don't want people thinking I seriously expect them to come and make a big deal out of Seville's birthday, but neither do I want anyone to think I didn't consider them a "close enough friend." I guess this is no different than the great who that you experience for baby showers, weddings, Christmas cards, etc. Anyway, I decided to go generally with family and people with babies her age, which I figure is a fairly safe bet. Of course, anyone not fitting that criteria who wants to come would certainly be welcome, but I would hate to presume any interest, and I would hate to elicit any eye-rolling by those who are either childless or more "experienced" parents than I.

So once again, here I am eating my pre-baby words. I kinda wanna start keeping a running tab on how many times I do that, but I've already lost count.

2 comments:

Susan said...

i applaud your effort to celebrate a birthday ON the birthday. It's the only real way to celebrate in my book...and actually is the only way I celebrate. But you may be excused this time, since it's a 1st bday.

Emily said...

Horray for Seville! Happy Birthday little girl :)
big pink hug from Dakota