Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lame Things That Happen Sometimes

Last night my car was broken into for the second time in as many months. Thankfully I had no purse, wallet, or ipod in there. They did, however, get some random things, including my diaper bag, so they made away with some pretty sweet #2 Huggies. I'm not sure of the street value on something like that, but they pretty much scored. Actually, in all seriousness, the diaper bag had these ( --> ) very cute baby sunglasses in it, for which I paid no small sum at Janie and Jack last summer (my one summer splurge, and the only thing I can afford at Janie and Jack). So then my ho hum attitude about them not getting anything worth much faded as I started to mentally add up what they DID get, that is valuable not to them, but to me. It goes something like this:

Bob Diaper Bag: $75
Huggies, Scented Bags, Wipes and Wipe Dispenser, Hand Sanitizer, A Toy or Two, Pacifier, etc: $15?
Set of Three TyBooks: $38
Velvet Handbag for formal evenings: $40?
My favorite lipstick: $25
My favorite lipliner: $30
Seville's Sunglasses: $13
Christmas Presents for Jared: $26.99
Box of Avery Labels: $28.99
Stamps: $26.70
The Last of my Christmas Letters: $5
Envelopes: $5
Custom Return Address Stamp: $30

TOTAL: Approx. $359. And that's not including stuff I haven't realized they got yet and Jared's relatively new iPod that was stolen a couple months ago (another $400).

CURSE THOSE THIEVES!! I hate thieves. That's not Christlike, I know, but I have to wonder if they'll look at our Christmas letter and see that they stole from someone who has cancer and a baby. Probably not. I don't think they'd care anyway.

Anyway, all this is to say that if you don't get a Christmas letter from us, it's probably because you were one of the stragglers whose address I didn't confirm until a couple days ago, and then yours was stolen. Since I probably won't be visiting Kinkos in the next days, I will post our letter for all to see (I was gonna post it right here, but then I realized that's not a very Christmassy introduction, and don't want a downer "Merry Christmas" post. So I'll post it on Christmas Eve or something, when I'm not feeling bitter and we've all had some time to calm down.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Ah Man! That stinks!
I once had a packed-to-the-roof car full of expensive camping gear stolen right in front of my house. Worse was the they stole my sweet white lab puppy. I cursed the heavens on that one.
Thieves piss me off too.

(ps: I notice in that picture Seville is playing with a plush block. Did you know that the BLUE one in that set was recalled for lead paint? fyi)

Lauren said...

So sad! These are all things that are important to you and expensive to replace, but I'm sure your thieves didn't want any of these items. On the upside, when you get a new set of TyBooks you could just send them to my house for a week. I'm sure my girls would be happy to get yours all crinkly again in no time - just the way you like them. :)

Stargirl said...

Oh, Skye, I'm so sorry! In addition to the monetary loss, and the sentimental loss, it also affects a person's sense of safety. That's what carries on for me, at least.

And those are really cute sunglasses.

riggity said...

I hate thieves too. where do they get off?

kaarina said...

i agree with stargirl. in addition to it being an enormous frustration etc etc, it really changes the way you feel about the world.

that really sucks. i'm sorry.

Susan said...

you don't know me but I read your blog often and have to comment.

My mom's house was broken into years ago and also her car a couple of times. Oh how she HATED those thieves. And her favorite comment?: I hope their hands fall off. I second that sentiment every time I hear a story like yours.

Nope....not Christlike and on Christmas day to boot. Don't care! I hope your thieves' hands fall off too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that! What a bummer.

I found your blog by accident. I wish your family a happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Skye Do Not Feel Bad I had Some One Break into My Mail Box! This Year! Steal Mail Out And Gifts, I think That is,A Federal Crime! Better Days A Coming! Take Care!

Tamara said...

i hear ya! did you ever see my post after my purse got stolen? while i was on a date?

i was primed for kissing mode that night apparently. that thief made off with THREE fantastic lip products!!! and a new purse!!! AND he took all chances for a second date! Can you believe it!!!

Did you get new baby glasses for christmas?

Skye said...

No new baby glasses yet. I think we'll have to wait for next summer.